/ 3 tbsp olive oil
115g / 4oz lean salt pork or thick-cut bacon, diced
900g / 2lb stewing steak cut into 4cm / 1.5in pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (or a tin of diced tomatoes)
10ml / 2 tsp tomato puree (paste)
2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
250ml / 8 fl oz / 1 cup fruit red wine
150ml / 1/4 pint / 2/3 cup beaf stock
1 bouquet garni
1 small onion, studded with 2 cloves
grated zest and juice of 1/2 unwaxed orange
15ml / 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and ground black pepper
1. Heat 15ml / 1 tbsp of oil in a large heavy frying pan, then add the
salt-pork or bacon and cooke over a meadium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring
frequently, until brown and the fat is renderred.
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork or bacon to the ceramic
cooking pot and switch the slow cooker to high.
3. Working in batches, add the beef to the pan in a single layer (do
not overcrowd the pan, or the meat will stew in its own juices and not
brown). Cook for 6-8 minutes until browned, turning to colour all sides.
4. Transfer the beef to the ceramic cooking pot and continue browning
the rest of the meat in the same way, adding more oil when needed.
5. Poue the wine and stock over the beef in the ceramic cooking pot
then add the bouquet garni and the onion. Add the remaining oil and
onion to the frying pan and cook gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots
and cook for a further 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the tomatoes,
tomato puree and garlic, then transfer to the ceramic cooking pot.
6. Cover with the lid and turn the slowcooker to low. Cook for 5-7 hours,
or until the beef and vegetables are very tender. Uncover and skim off
any fat. Season, discard the bouquet garni and clove-studded onion,
and stir in the orange zest and juice and parsley.
to Recipe Home page