/ 8oz skinless, boneless chicken breast portions
175g / 6 oz piece raw smoked gammon or bacon
30ml / 2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 sticks celery, diced
5ml / 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 2.5ml / 1/2 tsp dried thyme
5ml / 1 tsp mild chilli powder
2.5ml / 1/2 tsp ground ginger
10ml / 2 tsp tomato puree
2 dashes od Tobasco sauce
750ml / 1.25 pints / 3 cups boiling chicken stock
300g / 10oz 1.5 cups easy-cook (converted) rice
115 / 4oz chorizo sausage (cooked),sliced
30ml / 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat parsley, plus extra to garnish
salt and ground black pepper
1. Cut the chicken into 2.5ml / 1in cubes and season with salt and pepper.
Trim any fat off the gamon or bacon, then cut the meat into 1ml / 1/2in
2. Heat 15ml / 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a pan, add the onion and fry
gently for about 5 minutes, until begininning to colour. Stir in the
garlic, celery, thyme, chilli powder and ginger and cook for about 1
minute. Transfer the mixture to the ceramic cooking pot and turn the
slow cooker to high.
3. Heat the remaining 15ml / 1 tbsp olive oil in the pan, add the chicken
pieces and fry briefly until lightly browned. Add the chicken to the
ceramic cooking pot with the gammon and bacon cubes.
4. Add the tomato puree and Tobasco sauce to the stock and whisk together.
Pour into the slow cooker, cover with the lid and cook on high for 1.5
5. Sprinkle the rice into the pot and stir to mix. Cover and cook on
high for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the rice is almost tender and
most of the stock has been absorbed. Check towards the end of the cooking
time and add a little extra hot stock or water if the mixture is dry.
6. Stir in the chorizo and cook on high for 15 minutes, or until heated
through. Stir in the chopped parsley, then taste and adjust the seasoning.
Turn off the slow cooker and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Stir with
a fork to fluff up the rice, then serve garnished with chopped parsley.
to Recipe Home page